Getting To Know The Zippo Hand Warmer
The Zippo Hand Warmer
Want to take your outdoor adventures to the next (warmer) level? Get to know the Zippo Hand Warmer, available in 12-Hour & 6-Hour models. When you’re outdoors, you’re focused. Whether you are hunting, fishing, camping, or simply enjoying ice time with your buds, you don’t want distractions like cold hands.
My Hand Warmer isn’t getting very hot, what do I do?
- Carefully, to avoid getting burned, check the burner. It should fit tightly.
- The burner may not have ignited properly. Repeat the lighting instructions.
- Make sure there is enough lighter fluid in the Hand Warmer. Lighter fluid will evaporate even when Hand Warmer is not in use.
- The burner might need replacing. Burners need replacing after approximately 70 uses.
How do I stop my Hand Warmer from heating?
Once the Zippo 12-Hour Hand Warmer is ignited there is no way to stop the heating action. If necessary, place the Hand Warmer in the bag and place on a fireproof surface until the fuel is exhausted and the Hand Warmer is cool to the touch.
Does the Hand Warmer need oxygen to operate?
Yes. The Zippo Hand Warmer requires oxygen for the heating process to occur. The bag regulates the amount of oxygen. Do not use it without the provided bag because it will get too hot.
Do I have to use the provided bag?
Yes. The bag regulates the amount of oxygen and in doing so regulates the temperature of the Hand Warmer. Without the bag the Hand Warmer may get to hot and could cause injury or fire.
How long does one fill last or how often does it need refilled?
- The 6-Hour Hand Warmer, when filled with fuel using the plastic cup filled to the lower line, will heat up to 6 hours. It may stay lit slightly less or longer depending on many factors. Always be sure the Hand Warmer is cool to the touch before storing. Place it on a fireproof surface if it is still warm.
- The 12-Hour Hand Warmer, when filled with fuel using the plastic cup filled to the upper line, will heat up to 12 hours. You can also fill the plastic cup to the lower line and it will provide heat for up to 6 hours. It may stay lit slightly less or longer depending on many factors. Always be sure the Hand Warmer is cool to the touch before storing. Place it on a fireproof surface if it is still warm.
How To Fill a Zippo Hand Warmer
Filling Your Zippo Hand Warmer
Make sure Hand Warmer is cool to touch. Remove Hand Warmer lid, then remove the catalytic burner unit from base until by holding it lengthwise (upright with Zippo logo). Burner unit may have a tight fit.
Pour Zippo Lighter Fluid into the appropriate 6 or 12 hour plastic filling cup provided in the package. Do not spill.
For 6-Hour Hand Warmers: Fill to line for about 6 hours of heat.
For 12-Hour Hand Warmers: Fill to line for about 12 hours of heat.
Do not fill cup above the line for your specific type of Hand Warmer.
Slowly and carefully pour contents of filling cup into the filling hole on the Hand Warmer body, while maintaining the Hand Warmer in an upright position.
Do not overfill. Overfilling will cause malfunction, risk of injury and fire.
Keep the Hand Warmer upright and carefully replace the catalytic burner unit, making sure it is fully seated.
Carefully wipe off any excess fuel from the Hand Warmer surfaces and allow excess fuel to evaporate before igniting.
Be sure fuel can is closed and there is no spilled fuel in the vicinity before igniting. Fuel is flammable.
Allow Hand Warmer to rest in the upright position for at least two minutes before igniting to allow fuel to be fully distributed in the absorbent material and become available to the catalytic burner.
Do not lay Hand Warmer down after filling and before ignition. If laid down, liquid fuel can get into the catalytic burner, which may cause a flame to occur upon ignition.
If a visible flame develops, it must be put out. Usually, any flame can be easily blown out but use extreme care and caution. If necessary, place Hand Warmer on fire proof surface and allow the flame to burn out or be extinguished in a safe manner.
How To Ignite Your Zippo Hand Warmer
Igniting Your Zippo Hand Warmer
- Fill Hand Warmer with Genuine Zippo Hand Warmer Fuel.
- With the lid off the Hand Warmer, hold the base unit upright with one hand and apply flame to the catalytic burner unit for approximately 10 seconds using the other hand. Ignition upon first use after initial filing could take longer than expected and require application of flame more than one time. Flame can come from a Zippo Lighter, Zippo Utility Lighter, or a match. Follow lighting appliance use instructions. Keep hands and clothing away from any flame. The Hand Warmer heats by a catalytic process. There is no flame present after ignition. Presence of flame upon ignition indicates overfilling. Put flame out and allow excess fuel to evaporate before attempting re-ignition.
- After flameless ignition has been confirmed, replace Hand Warmer lid, then place warmer into the provided protective fabric bag. The Hand Warmer must always be placed in the supplied protective fabric bag to prevent overheating. Your Zippo Hand Warmer will now provide comfortable warmth for hours. After ignition, heat is provided by a catalytic process without flame.
- Once ignited there is no safe way to stop the heating action. If necessary, place the Hand Warmer in the supplied protective fabric bag and place on a fireproof surface until the fuel is exhausted and the Hand Warmer is cool to the touch.